About Me

My photo
Hi, I have set up this site in order for for people to have a place to make suggestions and have debate on the problems Ireland now faces. It is open to comment from all, the employed, the unemployed, business leaders, politicians, students, emigrants, immigrants, public and private sector workers, all of you. Anything you have to say is worthwhile, I want this to be a positive platform but I realise that's quite difficult at the moment, but even from negative comments something constructive can arise. I will only moderate nasty or offensive comments. I intend to forward the link to this site to every member of the Dail and Seanad on a regular basis, it's not much I know but it may get something started. To get peoples points across more clearly, I intend to publish Comments as posts, this I hope will generate more debate and further comment.

Monday, September 20, 2010

Liam Said.. In response to Tim

Point one I can agree with, but it seems very much in conflict with points 2-5.

One can fairly safely assume that all the tax that one requires is available, however it is raised (if you average over a long enough time frame). So what remains is deciding on the purpose of taxation, which seems to be two-fold:

1: Taxation as an instrument to influence behaviour. What kind of activities should the state seek to encourage/discourage through tax policy?

2: Taxation as a means of funding public spending. What do we want this money spent on? More of the same just more refined, or should we really be thinking about the type of country that can be created through the unique opportunities afforded by state expenditure?

I'm of the view that the finer details of whom is taxed and by how much become apparent if one can address these two questions.

3 comments:

  1. Okay, Can I just as people to try and think more positively, I know it won't fix every thing but it would sure go a long way to restoring this country self belief...positivity attracts lots of positivity and therefore it stands to reason that the more negative thoughts we put out there the more negativity we attract and we end up in a vicious cycle of negativity. We have to believe this country is a great country. ;-) can we give it a shot. 1) we live in an amazing country with so much to offer. ..who's next..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anon, I have no problem with that, just as long as we don't resort to magical thinking! I'm all for positive thinking just so long as the numbers add up and the plan makes some kind of logical sense :)

    ReplyDelete